Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Books...

So the girls bring home books every night according to their reading level. We sit, read and enjoy learning about new things-- most of the time. Granted I know there is only so many things you can write about at each reading level but come on people-- "My Worm Farm!" PLEASE! I've read books about bugs, animals, snakes and my personal favorite, "Mammals and their young." The book explains how each animal cares for it's young and it comes to the part about humans-- I'm thinking, this ought to be good. It says, "Humans are the most dependent mammals. The young cannot do anything for it's self. (I'm painfully aware of that one...) Each parent has to dress, feed, clothe, bathe, and care for the human child." Why didn't they tell me that when I was in school? What they failed to mention in their short synopsis of the human species is that the human child will quickly gain skills that it will then use to torcher it's parent with. It will learn to speak and start to say things like, "She swallowed my Lego! or My poopies are ouchie!" It will then learn to run which it will use as a quick escape from it's parent. (Hmmm, I'm not sure why they left those details out of the book....) I'm feeling so educated from our nightly reading times. I have to say the "Worm Farm" almost made me hurl. I was also a little woosie with the "All about Spiders" book. (If you must know it's the beady spider eyes that really get to me.) I'm not asking for much, just something nongraphic like trees or something. Who doesn't like a good tree book? Anything but another book explaining the disgusting habits of some little creepy thing. Tomorrow we are lined up for a riveting book called "Pig's skin." Yeah, I know, I'm lucky...

3 comments:

iammommahearmeroar said...

Wow those books really sound riveting. I bet you have a hard time putting them down. I'll be looking forward to that with my kids now. You are so funny Lec. I love your random tangents. You could make anything funny.

The Snow Queen said...

I hear you! I kinda like the Junnie B. Jones books. I wish she wasn't so naughty though. Our newest book is called "Walter the Farting Dog". Imagine. Yes, we all have to hear the fart sounds and try to fart for the next hour after we read the book. Lovely really.

Margene said...

Don't judge a book by it cover. I love books and some are bad and some are great. What reading program are the girls doing and what level are they on now. Just keep them reading and make it fun for them. Reading is the key to sucess.