Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Hobby hoo ha!

Now that the holidays are behind us it's time to start thinking about the pinewood derby of course. Tim is on the prowl and ready to create something amazing again this year. On Saturday he was itching to get to the hobby store to start buying supplies. So we all piled in the car and took off for Milwaukee. When we got to the store the kids had a fun time looking at all the extreme hobby stuff. Naturally Em had to go potty. I tell the group that I'm going to take Em to the bathroom and of course two more kids joined the potty party. I make it a personal rule that I never, NEVER, go to the bathroom at these places because it is a mostly male environment. Males and public bathrooms are never a good combo, especially in a hobby shop. We open the door to the women's one room wonder and BAM! The stink hits us straight in the face. Even the kids are grumbling and groaning about the smell-- so you know it's bad! But we are here and everyone has to go, so what are we going to do? Em claims first rights to the potty, since it was his idea, and proceeds to take his sweet time. In the mean time Zoey's situation has become urgent so I send her off to the men's bathroom with Breckyn. When we are all finished we meet in the hallway and Breckyn pulls me off to the side to tell me about the men's bathroom. She says, "The men's bathroom was way better than the women's bathroom! They even had an air freshener!" She seems completely outraged by this so I press her a little more about why that's such a big deal and she says, "I think those bathrooms must have been built back in the days when women didn't have any rights. That's why the men's was so much nicer." She takes all of her history facts pretty seriously. So the next time you are in Milwaukee come and visit our anti-women hobby store. It'll be fun!

5 comments:

iammommahearmeroar said...

That is SO Breckyn. She is hilarious. Maybe she should run for President....at least student council president for now. I love that kid.

Breck said...

And bring the "go Girl if you have to go back! That kid is a hoot and I still say you write a great story and it should be a book of them. We sure miss you all and can't wait for the derby news!
LOVE,
MOM

Margene said...

what a hoot about women rights? I love the bathroom story

Renee said...

oh. my. I loved LOVED the back in the day when women didn't have any rights comment...hilarious!

The Snow Queen said...

Back in the day women couldn't wear pants either.... tell her about that one! She'll be all full of righteous indignation!