Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mommy Money...

This week the school is having a book fair. Breckyn is dying to spend her money on books. The teachers take the classes down and have the kids make a list of books so their parents know which books to buy. (convenient huh?) Breckyn's class has one more chance to buy stuff today. So this morning she is begging me to take some money for books. I tell her maybe she should just save her money (knowing that every book there is still gonna cost me serious moola for her to "buy" it with her own money). She says, "Yeah right, girls don't save money." I say, "Yeah, they do-- I save money." To which she replies, "No you don't, you spend money all the time. Dad makes all the money and you spend it whenever you want to." (shock still showing on my face as a pick up my shattered little pieces to reply) I try to explain to her the finer details of running a house hold and who has what jobs-- nothing... I try to tell her that girls can do lots of things blah, blah, blah,... bottom line-- she didn't get to take money to the book fair. (on principal-- or perhaps pride-- but either way I technically won) So, we will be taking a "guilt trip" to Barnes and Nobles this weekend to make up for my evilness as a mother today.... when does it get easier?

4 comments:

Beth said...

oooh boy. Touchy subject. She needs to learn the ol' "What's his is MINE and what's MINE is (still) MINE" rule about womanhood.

Erin said...

I think you did the right thing. Besides keeping your pride intact, those books at the book fair are always over priced...Barnes and Noble is a much better idea. (oh, by the way, I am Beth's cousin).

Cassie said...

Poor Poor Brecky her mommy won't even let her broaden her horizons with new learning material! :) She's so funny she's always thinking of a new way to get money. Next thing you know she'll be asking rugby to pull out her tooth so they can share the profit from the tooth fairy! I love that girl!

iammommahearmeroar said...

Well I say count your lucky stars that it's just a book she wants to buy. You'll look back on it fondly when she's asking for a car!